Resources Abound!

EDIT:  I've updated some of this information to add even MORE helpful resources.  It is truly amazing what has come out since I've started my journey.  And while this may make it a tad overwhelming, the fact remains that you don't have to read it all (yet) or know it all.  Just pick ONE thing today.  You have to start some where.


This post is what I hope will be a starting point, a bank, a resource, a wealth of information.  I will provide you with the best of what I've found in educating myself on nutrition, fitness, and over-all health.

I've been wanting to write this post for a long time.  A really long time.  I've kind of been keeping it going in my head for the past three years long time.  I know I've put it off because I want the information to be organized just right.  So, that when anyone reads it (Hello?  Is anyone out there?) they are not overwhelmed with a mess of information, but breathe a sigh of relief at finding a place to start or keep their health journey going.

Last night I was talking with my husband about life in general and how some times, as perfectionists, we just think "If I just wait for xyz to be finished, or if I wait until things are a little less crazy, or stressful, I can accomplish this certain task.".  Well, we all know that will never happen.  Life happens and time passes whether we are ready or not!

This really resonated with me, as it always does, and I felt compelled to share it with my current challenge group this morning too.


So, even as I still digest this information I will admit to not having it all figured out.  I will, however, move forward.  With the small caveat, that in future, I hope to have this even more updated and maybe in a printable format on an easy to access link.

Where do I start?

Below, I have organized resources of information in different formats.  I suggest you start with the format that most appeals to you or, just browse and seek out the title that stands out to you.  My mother hates the internet (sorry mom, but you do), so I am going to guess she wouldn't enjoy sitting down and browsing through all the websites.  She does like to read though, so the books might be her first stop.  It is easy to get overwhelmed, so ask yourself what it is you are looking for.  Need help figuring that out?  Ask me.  Ask a friend.  Whatever you choose, I promise you will learn something new!

These are in no particular order, I am writing them as fast as my brain can recall them all!  Lastly, it is OK if you don't agree with everything the resource has to offer.  I don't.  It's about learning and taking away those special golden nuggets that make you think and help you learn.

Books:
Engine 2 Diet by Rip Esselstyn
My Beef with Meat by Rip Esselstyn*
Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Caldwell Esselstyn
The China Study by T. Colin Campbell and Thomas M. Campbell
Whole by T. Colin Campbell*
Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer
Veganist by Kathy Freston*
The Lean by Kathy Freston
Fat Sugar Salt by Michael Moss*
21 Day Kickstart by Neal Barnard
The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone
In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan*
The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin*
The Big Picture by Tony Horton*
Skinny Bitch: Book of Vegan Swaps by Kim Barnouin
How Not to Die by Dr. Michael Greger* (I'm only just starting this book, but every 5 minutes I want to put it down and show it to some one - every one!)
The 5am Miracle by Jeff Sanders*

Movies:
Fed Up*
Food Matters*
Forks Over Knives*
Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead
King Corn*
Blackfish*
Meet Your Meat
Food, Inc.*
Dive!
Hungry For Change
Earthlings
Glass Walls
Cowspiracy* (Oh my.  Please watch this.  It's available on Netflix and produced by Leonardo DiCaprio.)
Food Choice Movie

Websites/Articles/Blogs:
The Plant-Based Dietitian
The 30 Day Vegan Challenge
Bill Nye Explains GMOs
Everything You Need to Know about Sugar
Oh She Glows
Post Punk Kitchen
The Happy Herbivore
Thug Kitchen warning: this blog has language!
Kris Carr
No Meat Athlete
Chocolate Covered Katie Go easy here!
Happy Healthy Life
The Minimalist Baker
Q&A with Dr. McDougall
High Protein Diet Myth
NutritionFacts.Org


Cookbooks: Note: Use your noodle when choosing meals.  Not all of the recipes in these books are perfectly healthy.  They offer many that are and I feel like are worth mentioning.  If it calls for 2 cups of sugar or cups of oil, skip it.
Isa Does It by Isa Chandra Moskowitz*
Oh She Glows by Angela Liddon*
Chloe's Kitchen by Chloe Coscarelli*
My Beef with Meat by Rip Esselstyn*
Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz*
Vegan Cooking for Carnivores by Roberto Martin
The China Study Cookbook by Leanne Campbell
Skinny Bitch Ultimate Everyday Cookbook by Kim Barnouin
Vegan Express by Nava Atlas
Veganomicon by Terry Romero and Isa Chandra Moskowitz
The Part Time Vegan by Cherise Grifoni
Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman
The China Study All-Star Collection by Leanne Campbell*
Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
Vegan on the Cheap by Robin Robertson
Everyday Happy Herbivore by Lindsay S. Nixon
Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker by Robin Robertson
The Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease Cookbook by Ann Crile Esselstyn and Jane Esselstyn
The Forks Over Knives Cookbook (Banana Bread!!)
Plant Powered Families by Dreena Burton* (all the things)
Shred It by Robert Cheeke
The Plant Power Way by Rich Roll and Julie Piatt
Crossroads by Tal Ronnen (This book is for the chefs.  Sooo delicious.  Sooo time consuming)
Happy Healthy Vegan Kitchen by Kathy Patalsky
Plant Powered Nation by Kim Campbell* (Super healthy and a surprise favorite.  We cook from this often.)
The Homemade Vegan Pantry by Miyoko Schinner


Podcasts: (side note: these are new to me and I like these listed, but sometimes not all the content is awesome and I'm still on the hunt for more awesome ones.)
The Chalene Show
Trust and Believe (His previous cast was "Define Your Life".  If it's still out there, it's worth checking out.) with Shaun T
The Rich Roll Podcast - please, please check out the episode with Ray Cronise and "Our Broken Plate"
Food for Thought: The Joys and Benefits of Living Compassionately and Healthfully
Rise and Resist - girl powered focus, lifting, and f-bombs
The Model Health Show
Muscles by Brussels - mostly about lifting, but wonderful topics


*These are some of my favorites, or ones that really stood out to me.
**Almost all of these books or websites I've mentioned have their own Facebook and/or Pinterest pages.  Check them out!  You can also follow my own accumulation of all things awesome on my own Pinterest page.  https://www.pinterest.com/lisak80/

There are so many more resources out there and new ones appearing all the time!  Here are just a few that I am so anxious to get my hands on:

Eaternity by Jason Wrobel
Protein Ninja by Terry Hope Romero
The Chicago Diner Cookbook by The Chicago Diner  (Ok, ok.  This is totally not going to be in the realm of healthy, BUT, if you need some transition food or just convincing that vegan is tasty, I know this will fit the bill.  I've been to this diner and let me just tell you - A. Mazing.)
Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows:  An Introducation to Carnism:  The Belief System That Enables Us to Eat Some Animals and Not Others by Melanie Joy (Wow, what a title.  Interesting topic...)
30 Day Vegan Challenge by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau  (I hear she's coming out with a revised version, so this may be worth waiting on.)
The Fully Raw Diet by Kristina Carrillo-Bucaram

Give me some feedback:  What do you think of this list?  Have I left things out?  What information are you still looking for?

Your journey is personal.  What I need, you may not need, and visa versa.  I do hope that in sharing what has helped me along my path, will help you in some way.





Comments

Popular Posts